|Peace Proms Reimagined 2021 – SING & SIGN – Deadline Extended to 28th May for Irish, UK and USA schools|
Peace Proms Children – Song through Sign Language, recorded at school
Peace Proms Teachers’ Virtual Choir, recorded from home
Cross Border Orchestra of Ireland, recorded from home
SING & SIGN – VIRTUAL SPRING PROJECT FOR TEACHERS & PUPILS
Free music and language resource
“This is a fabulous project! Our children absolutely loved it”
Our Peace Proms teachers have been telling us how much their students love learning ‘What the World Needs Now is Love’ in sign-language. So….we’re extending the deadline to Friday 28th of May to give more schools from Ireland, UK and USA the opportunity to get involved. You’ll find all the resources you need right here!
🕊PEACE PROMS REIMAGINED 2021
NOTE: UK SCHOOLS – PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK: http://peaceproms.com/for-uk-schools-peace-proms-reimagined-2021/
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
|All resources for this project are freely available to Teachers in the Ireland, Northern Ireland, the USA and the UK because, after all, what the world needs now is LOVE!|
Teachers are invited to:
Sing ‘What the world Needs Now is Love’, record themselves at home and be part of our Peace Proms Teachers’ Virtual Choir, and/or Teach your class to perform the song in Sign-Language. The final video production will feature full orchestral accompaniment from the Cross Border Orchestra of Ireland recorded at home.
The final video production will be posted on the CBOI’s social media platforms.
OPTION 1. If you’d like to do both parts of the project that would be great!! Sumbit your sign language videos HERE. Submit your vocal videos HERE
OPTIONS 2. If you’d rather not sing, that’s fine. You can still submit a recording of your class performing the song through sign-language. (Chorus only or more if you like). Submit HERE
OPTION 3. It you’d like to submit a video of you singing and not record your class, that’s fine too. Submit HERE
|We LOVE this signing video 4th Class St. John’s, Breaffy|
|Thank you to everyone who has already sent wonderful video submissions. This beautiful submission from 4th Class in St. John’s N.S. Breaffy, Co. Mayo show how easy and effective it is to communicate through the Art of Irish sign-language.|
Teachers are invited to SING and be part of our Peace Proms Teachers’ Virtual Choir. Your class groups can accompany you by learning the song in Sign-Language.
As Spring is a time of hope and renewal, we would love you and your class to be part of our special Spring project and help us spread peace, love and hope around the world.
We know that a huge number of our Primary School teachers are great singers so now is your chance to take the mic and shine. Teachers are invited to be part of our virtual choir by submitting a recording of you singing ‘What the World Needs Now is Love’, from home.
As it’s still not advisable to sing in the classroom, Teachers are invited to teach this song to your class using the beautiful art of sign language, so your pupils can accompany your singing. You only need to teach the Chorus, and then submit a video recording from school.
We provide all the resources you need, including sheet music and backing tracks so you can learn and record the song at home; as well as a full sign-language resource pack so you can easily teach the song to your class. We have also provided instructions for how to record and submit you videos.
TEACHERS’ SINGING RESOURCE PACK
The Teachers’ Pack includes sheet music, full and backing tracks, sample permission slip as well as instructions for recording. Feel free to sing the main melody, a harmony line or both. Teachers can submit more than one video recording i.e. the main melody and one or more harmonies.
You can access and/or download your FULL TEACHERS’ RESOURCE PACK HERE
The Teachers’ Pack includes:
- Sheet Music (Main melody)
- Full Track with Vocals
- Full Track with Quiet Vocals
- Full Backing Tacks (No Vocals)
- Directions for Recording
*NOTE: Check back later as we will be adding harmonies over the next week or so. Feel free to sing the main melody, a harmony line or both.
**NOTE: Teachers can submit more than one video recording i.e. the main melody and one or more harmonies.
CLASS SIGN-LANGUAGE RESOURCE PACK
You can access and / or download the FULL CLASS SIGN-LANGUAGE RESORCE PACK HERE
We have put together a wonderful Sign-Language resource pack for this project so it will be fun and easy to teach. The Class Sing-Language Pack includes:
- PDF of the alphabet in sign language
- VIDEO of the alphabet in sign language
- VIDEO TUTORIAL of the words of the CHORUS (What the World Needs Now)
- REHEARSAL VIDEO of the CHORUS – SLOWER SPEED (You may use this for recording)
- REHEARSAL VIDEO of the CHORUS – NORMAL SPEED. (You may use this for recording)
STEPS FOR LEARNING THIS SONG IN SIGN-LANGUAGE
- Use the PDF to introduce children the letters of the alphabet in sign language. (Irish Sign Language involve making the shape of the first letter of each word while signing the word. So having a grasp of the alphabet will greatly help the children) PDF of the alphabet in sign language
- Use the Video of the alphabet in sign language for them to sign along to.
When they are confident enough, ask them to try to spell their name in sign language VIDEO of the alphabet in sign language
- Use the Video Tutorial to slowly teacher the children how to sign the full chorus.
- Use the rehearsal video at a slower speeds to practice with until your pupils are continent.
REHEARSAL VIDEO of the CHORUS – SLOWER SPEED (You may use this for recording)
- Use the rehearsal video at the correct tempo to practice with and for recording.
REHEARSAL VIDEO of the CHORUS – NORMAL SPEED (You may use this for recording)
- Make sure to play the track when recording in the classroom so that the children sign in time to the music.
RECORDING DIRECTIONS FOR TEACHERS SINGING FROM HOME
BEFORE YOU START
- Use a simple clear background or feel free to recreate a 60’s ‘flower power’ peace and love vibe 🌸🕊
- Having natural light in front of you usually gives the best picture. Avoid bright wall lights or windows behind you. It adds a glare.
- Put your recording device (laptop / phone) on something steady e.g. a music stand. Don’t have anybody holding it.
- Please check your phone / camera settings and ensure your frames per second is a standard setting of either, 25fps, 30fps 50fps or 60fps. We have received some videos at 29.97fps and these will not sync up correctly and have to be fixed before we can use them. On an iPhone, for example: Go to Settings > Camera > Record Video
- Use headphones so only you can hear the track
- 8 clicks are added to the beginning of the track. When you’re recording, count along out loud to the second bar of 4 clicks. “one, two, three, four….”
- Record in LANDSCAPE (not portrait)
- Record face-on head & shoulders. No side angles. The camera should be in front of you.
- Fill the screen with you. We shouldn’t see your music stand, or loads of wall space.
WHEN YOU HAVE A GOOD RECORDING
- Upload your file to google drive or similar ( One Drive etc. ) . Please don’t use a file transfer service where files expire, i.e. WeTransfer.
**If you are having problems uploading your video to google drive due to file size, you can film at a lower resolution. To change resolution on an iPhone, for example: Go to Settings > Camera > Record Video and choose the lower setting, i.e. 720p
PLEASE NAME YOUR VIDEO FILE as follows,
- TEAHCERS: “School Name – Teacher’s Name – What The World Needs Now”.
- You can do this after the file has been uploaded to google drive. Right Click, or hold down on the File Name and Select “Rename” from the options.
- Please remember to change the sharing permissions so we can access the file. To do this, right click on the video file and select “GET LINK”. There will be an option to change the permissions from “RESTRICTED” to “ANYONE WITH LINK”.
Then select “COPY LINK” and paste it in the field above.
WHEN RECORDING YOUR CLASS
- Follow the instructions above where relevant.
- Make sure to play the track in the classroom when recording so that the children sign in time to the music.
- Rename the video: “School Name – Chorus (or Full Song or Section) – What the World Needs Now”
SUBMIT YOUR VIDEOS
- TEACHERS’ VOCAL VIDEO SUBMISSION PAGE: HERE
- CHILDREN SIGN LANGUAGE VIDEO SUBMISSION PAGE: HERE
FULL SIGN-LANGUAGE PROJECT
If you are feeling really ambitiious, please feel free to teach your children the full song in sign language, and submit the full version.
PUPIL SIGNING PACK – FULL SONG
REHEARSAL VIDEO: FULL SONG with vocals – SLOWER SPEED YOU MAY USE THIS FOR RECORDING
VIDEO of the FULL SONG with vocals (NORMAL SPEED) YOU MAY USE THIS FOR RECORDING
VIDEO of the FULL SONG without vocals (NORMAL SPEED)
OUR THANKS TO
Richie Dunne, CBOI for the Orchestral Arrangement
Sylvia De Cnoc for the vocal arrangements and tracks
Karen Shields for the sing-language tutorials
Catherine Hegarty UK sign-language tutorial
Sean McMahon, CBOI for the recording and production